Gingered Apple Cake is one of the first treats I make for the Christmas season, and my family looks forward to it every year! Even though we live in Phoenix, where there is rarely snow, a scoop of vanilla ice cream dollaped on top of the warm apple cake puts everyone in a frosty mood. This cake tastes like gingerbread with the apple sauce already baked into it, so be sure to use fresh grated ginger if you can, to get the full flavor!
- 1/2 c. Butter
- 1 c. White Sugar
- 1/2 c. Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 c. Applesauce (Cinnamon-flavored preferred)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 c. Cake Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon (Use 2 tsp if you do not use Cinnamon-flavored applesauce)
- 3 tsp. Fresh Grated Ginger
- 1 tsp. Lemon Zest
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the butter and sugars together with a mixer until smooth. Add the eggs and beat until eggs are blended in. Add the applesauce and beat until mixed. Slowly add the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, making certain all the ingredients are blended. Stir in the ginger and lemon zest by hand until blended. Pour into a greased bundt or tube pan. Bake for 38-40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on a wire baking rack for about 10 minutes, and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Now that I shared my recipe, I want to share a few of my friends recipes too. This recipe and several others are part of the Homemade Holiday Treat Blog Event 2012. More than fifty of us gathered a holiday treat recipe, so you have lots ideas to choose from! To get the recipes, click on the links below.
Latest posts by Julie Cohn (see all)
- Win Duncan Hines Perfect Size Cake Mix, Perfect for Life’s Little Celebrations - 10/05/2015
- How to Get Rid of Ghost Spam in Google Analytics - 10/01/2015
- Do You Have Ghost (Spam) In Your Google Analytics? - 09/29/2015
- Butterscotch Apple Martini - 09/28/2015