Growing up, my family got to pick whatever meal we wanted for our birthday. Did I request Lobster? Steak? Lasagna? Nope. My favorite meal was Oven Baked Pork Chops and Sauerkraut!
There was something special about the way my Mom made this dish–the sauerkraut was tangy but not too sour; the pork chops crunchy, yet tender in the middle. I have never been able to duplicate my moms secret recipe, but this is a scrumptious alternative.
- 4 Bone-in Pork Chops, thick
- 1 28.8 oz Jar of Sauerkraut (Try not to buy canned sauerkraut, it usually has a tinny taste.)
- 1 Apple
- Optional: 1 tsp. Caraway seeds
- 1/2 c. Apple Cider
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and pat dry the pork chops and set aside. Take the jar of sauerkraut and drain it into a small-holed colander.
Rinse quickly and allow to drain. Core, peel, and chop the apple into small pieces. Mix sauerkraut and apple together (and caraway seeds if you are adding) and place in the bottom of a deep baking dish.
Sprinkle salt and pepper over the pork chops and place on top of the sauerkraut. Pour the apple cider (or apple juice if you do not have cider) over the top of everything and place in the oven.
Bake for approximately 45 minutes. If the pork chops get too brown, place a small piece of aluminum foil over the top. I served with mashed potatoes, asparagus, and apple sauce.
Latest posts by Julie Cohn (see all)
- My REACH® Complete Care™ Products Clean Routine - 08/01/2015
- Five Must-Do Restaurants in Monterey’s Cannery Row - 07/31/2015
- Win A Family 4 Pack of Tickets to Big Surf Waterpark - 07/25/2015
- The Best Western Plus Victorian Inn, Monterey - 07/21/2015