Gelatin molds, like this lime jello salad, were insanely popular in the 1960’s, and with good reason…they were easy to make and delicious. This is similar to a recipe I remember my grandmother making when I was little, with shaved carrot in it. I did not add the carrot, because my family would not have touched it with a ten-foot pole, but I did add mandarin oranges.
- 1 6 oz. Box of Lime Jello
- 1 11 oz Can of Mandarin Oranges, drained
- 1 15 Can Fruit Cocktail, drained
- 1 c. Cottage Cheese
- 1 Container of Cool Whip, thawed
Combine the lime jello, mandarin oranges, and fruit cocktail in a bowl.
Set the bowl in the refrigerator to set for about 2 hours. Remove the bowl from the fridge and stir in the cottage cheese and Cool Whip, stirring until well blended.
Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator until serving. To be authentically 1960’s, you would have the jello salad set in a “Tupperware-style” jello mold. Our family prefers it more fluffy, so I kept it in a regular bowl.
Latest posts by Julie Cohn (see all)
- My REACH® Complete Care™ Products Clean Routine - 08/01/2015
- Five Must-Do Restaurants in Monterey’s Cannery Row - 07/31/2015
- Win A Family 4 Pack of Tickets to Big Surf Waterpark - 07/25/2015
- The Best Western Plus Victorian Inn, Monterey - 07/21/2015